Black & White Web Design Tips
Latest posts by Silke Jager (see all)
- 5 Topic Ideas For Small Business Bloggers - December 2, 2015
- Is Negative SEO Bad For Small Business - November 20, 2015
- 3 Effective, Easy Website Tips For Higher Google Rankings - August 13, 2015
A few years back, White text on Black or Dark background was a much loved web design style.
That is until more and more web designers and visitors figured out that it is very hard to read light text on a dark background, especially on small screens. This type of design puts extra strain on readers eyes and that defeats the whole purpose of website design. Visiting a website or blog is supposed to be a pleasurable experience!
Here is an outdated website design that was created about ten years ago. It was a nice design at the time, but it has a flash intro where the menu slides in from the side, a very cluttered background with white text that is very hard to read and stacked images. Worst of all, it isn’t a responsive web design! When you visit the website on a smart phone or tablet the menu doesn’t show at all and the page looks even more confusing, if you can get the site to load at all.
How many online visitors and customers do you think this construction company has lost over the past several years?
6 Tips For Designing a Black & White Website:
- Always use black, or better yet dark charcoal (#292929), text on white background! The high contrast between the colors will make it very easy to read.
- A pure white background (#ffffff) emphasizes clarity on the page and removes clutter and visual obstacles for your readers. Some of your visitors might think a pure white background is too harsh. To create a softer white add a pinch of another color, like black or dark blue.
- Choose photos, illustrations and graphics that mirror your overall design. You don’t necessarily have to use B&W images, but try to keep them simple as well. Use a dark border around your images if they are very light.
- Utilize whitespace (the space between content) effectively. Keep extra space around your images and blocks of text with a wider margin. It will make your design more readable and keep your viewers engaged longer.
- Find a font that you can use as a focal point. A nice, easy to read and visually interesting type is very important in a simple website design to make it stand out.
- Keep your design simple! For the most impact choose a minimally styled design scheme like the one you see here.
Black & White sites give an elegant and creative feel to your web design, making it the perfect choice for some. Keep in mind, it certainly is not suitable for every site.
This type of web design is great for setting yourself apart from all of the colorful sites out there. If you already have a color scheme for your marketing campaign then you are probably better off using them to keep it uniform, instead of going with a strictly black and white design.
Of course you could always add a splash of contrast color to your B&W site to focus important parts of the design in a subtle way. Take a look at My list of Top 10 Black & White Websites.
What do you think of the modern, sleek and clean looking Black & White web designs? Is it time for the Construction Company owner to get his website re-designed? Leave me a comment below.
Before you move on… get my free updates, simply click here!
You will then get my articles sent direct to your inbox, so you never miss a great marketing idea again. Rest assured, I respect your privacy and will never spam or give your email address to anyone.