Sexy Shoes for Women Expert Website Design Changes
Latest posts by Silke Jager (see all)
- 5 Topic Ideas For Small Business Bloggers - December 2, 2015
- Is Negative SEO Bad For Small Business - November 20, 2015
- 3 Effective, Easy Website Tips For Higher Google Rankings - August 13, 2015
The Sexy Shoes Expert website is one of my own, personal websites that I first built in late 2009 and went live in 2010.
Jeff wanted us to learn more about blogging and what that meant for our customers at the time, and since I love high heels I went with a shoe blog.
In retrospect I would definitely do a few things differently, starting with the name of the website. When we decided on the name we considered what the blog would be about ‘high heels or sexy shoes’ and why visitors would want to come to this particular blog ‘to get information from an expert’. Hence the name ‘Sexy Shoes Expert’.
What we didn’t consider at the time was the fact that search engines don’t know how to split up words so my shoe blog could also be seen as ‘Sexy Shoe Sexpert’. Dear Lord! We’ve made a terrible, terrible mistake! 😉
Over the past several years the traffic for my shoe site has gone from 1 or 2 visitors a day at the very beginning to over several hundred visitors a day. And then Google made it’s latest major algorithm changes. Google changes its algorithms every few months, and these changes affect search queries and how any given website shows up in search engines. Traffic to my shoe website has steadily declined over the past several weeks, with only around 50 visitors a day right now.
I like to ‘tinker’ with my own websites and whenever I have some free time that’s what I do. So, over the course of three years this particular website had it’s main title changed from Sexy Shoes Expert to High Heels for Women. I’ve added and deleted several pages, wrote hundred of shoe related articles, uploaded many shoe pictures and even made a little money and received free products writing reviews for a New York City based publicity company.
While doing some research of his own, my husband Nick found out that the Sexy Shoes Expert website has a worth of over $5,000. After he told me that, I knew what I needed to do to get the traffic back to this fashion shoe site and getting more women and men to interact, talking about the most fun subject in the world ‘Shoes’. After all, I haven’t made any changes to the theme of this site since first creating it.
Here are some of the website design changes I implemented:
- Created a brand new website theme from scratch
- Created a new website header with a new title and description
- Created drop down menu
- Changed the colors from black and purple to a warm dark pink and light grey
- Implemented a shoe related background
- Changed the home page to streamline visitors
- Removed the third sidebar
- Cleaned up remaining sidebar and remove images and outgoing links
- Changed the text in the footer
- Added icons to the blog category pages
- Used social media icons more prominently
- Changed the main title from High Heels For Women to Sexy Shoes Expert to Sexy Shoes For Women Expert
Only time will tell if these changes will ultimately help or hinder this fun shoe shopping site. I like to think that I have enough experience in web design and SEO that this shoe website will once again be on the first page of Google searches.
Leave me a comment below. I would love to hear your feedback!
Before you move on… get my free updates, simply click here!
You will then get my articles sent direct to your inbox, so you never miss a great marketing idea again. Rest assured, I respect your privacy and will never spam or give your email address to anyone.